A series of maps, illustrations and descriptions of the extant parish churches built to 1903 within the Brisbane diocese.

At the time the diocese extended well beyond Brisbane itself, stretching as far west as Cunnamulla and as far north as Gooburrum, north of Bundaberg. The year 1847 marks the earliest building of an Anglican church in the diocese.

Inventory entries provide map locations and co-ordinates, architectural drawings, setting, church history, including photographs and illustrations, description, heritage listing (if any), references and notes. There is also extensive historical background about Anglican Church building in Queensland, and the four bishops (Bishop William Tyrrell, Bishop Edmund Wyndham Tufnell, Bishop Mathew Blagden Hale and Bishop Thomas Thornhill Webber), who had authority over Anglican church building in southern Queensland.

The inventory does not include structures originally built as parish churches but since closed and sold, nor structures where the form of the building has been substantially lost. Private chapels or churches built by other religious denominations in that period and subsequently re-dedicated as Anglican churches are included. ‘Recycled’ churches, i.e. those that have been closed but are still in use by the Anglican church as parish halls are included.

The full list of towns represented in the inventory include :
Allora, Biggenden, Boonah, Childers, Cunnamulla, Dalby, Drayton, Eidsvold, Esk, Gooburrum, Goodna, Granville, Hervey Bay, Howard, Inglewood, Ipswich, Jackson, Jondaryan, Kilcoy, Kilkivan, Leyburn, Lowood, Marburg, Maryborough, Milmerran, Mitchelton, Mt Perry, Mt Tyson, Mundoolun, Newtown, North Bundaberg, Ormiston, Pratten, Rosewood, St George, Surat, Toowoomba, Tummaville, Warwick, Woombye, Yandilla, Yuleba.

Brisbane itself is represented by churches in several modern day suburbs such as Brisbane City, Brookfield, Bulimba , Clayfield, Cleveland, Kangaroo Point, and Fortitude Valley.

The inventory has been deposited in the collection of The University of Queensland Library.

The study was prepared for the Diocese of Brisbane of the Anglican Church of Australia by the Department of Architecture, The University of Queensland, during the years 1992-1998.

Collectors
Party Emeritus Professor Brit Andresen
Queensland   Brisbane diocese   church architecture   Anglican church in Australia   Anglican churches   Brisbane   120101   210303   120199   120102  

The inventory was funded by a National Estate Grant by the Australian Heritage Commission to the Corporation of the Synod of the Diocese of Brisbane of the Anglican Church of Australia in the 1989-90 program. The project was also supported in its early stages by regular university research grants, 1985-1990,awarded by the Department of Architecture, UQ. UQ’s Office of Gender Equity funded a fellowship in 1997 to assist with the completion of the report. The hard copy of the inventory has been deposited in the collection of The University of Queensland Library. The catalogue entry can be found here: http://library.uq.edu.au/record=b2837418

View Source XML

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<registryObjects xmlns="http://ands.org.au/standards/rif-cs/registryObjects">
  <registryObject group="The University of Queensland">
    <key>http://research.data.uq.edu.au/records/c5ee4695-efe3-574e-a333-58951b6defa0</key>
    <originatingSource>http://manage.research.data.uq.edu.au/</originatingSource>
    <collection type="collection" dateModified="2013-01-23T01:25:15Z">
      <identifier type="uri">http://dataspace.uq.edu.au/collections/16#</identifier>
      <name type="primary">
        <namePart>Church Register: An Inventory of Parish Churches within the Diocese of Brisbane, 1847-1903.</namePart>
      </name>
      <name type="alternative">
        <namePart>Anglican Churches in Brisbane</namePart>
      </name>
      <description type="full">A series of maps, illustrations and descriptions of the extant parish churches built to 1903 within the Brisbane diocese.
  
At the time the diocese extended well beyond Brisbane itself, stretching as far west as Cunnamulla and as far north as Gooburrum, north of Bundaberg. The year 1847 marks the earliest building of an Anglican church in the diocese.

Inventory entries provide map locations and co-ordinates, architectural drawings, setting, church history, including photographs and illustrations, description, heritage listing (if any), references and notes. There is also extensive historical background about Anglican Church building in Queensland, and the four bishops (Bishop William Tyrrell, Bishop Edmund Wyndham Tufnell, Bishop Mathew Blagden Hale and Bishop Thomas Thornhill Webber), who had authority over Anglican church building in southern Queensland. 

The inventory does not include structures originally built as parish churches but since closed and sold, nor structures where the form of the building has been substantially lost. Private chapels or churches built by other religious denominations in that period and subsequently re-dedicated as Anglican churches are included. &#x2018;Recycled&#x2019; churches, i.e. those that have been closed but are still in use by the Anglican church as parish halls are included. 

The full list of towns represented in the inventory include :
Allora, Biggenden, Boonah, Childers, Cunnamulla, Dalby, Drayton, Eidsvold, Esk, Gooburrum, Goodna, Granville, Hervey Bay, Howard, Inglewood, Ipswich, Jackson, Jondaryan, Kilcoy, Kilkivan, Leyburn, Lowood, Marburg, Maryborough, Milmerran, Mitchelton, Mt Perry, Mt Tyson, Mundoolun, Newtown, North Bundaberg, Ormiston, Pratten, Rosewood, St George, Surat, Toowoomba, Tummaville, Warwick, Woombye, Yandilla, Yuleba. 

Brisbane itself is represented by churches in several modern day suburbs such as Brisbane City, Brookfield, Bulimba , Clayfield, Cleveland, Kangaroo Point, and Fortitude Valley. 

The inventory has been deposited in the collection of The University of Queensland Library.

The study was prepared for the Diocese of Brisbane of the Anglican Church of Australia by the Department of Architecture, The University of Queensland, during the years 1992-1998.</description>
      <subject type="local">Queensland</subject>
      <subject type="local">Brisbane diocese</subject>
      <subject type="local">church architecture</subject>
      <subject type="local">Anglican church in Australia</subject>
      <subject type="local">Anglican churches</subject>
      <subject type="local">Brisbane</subject>
      <subject type="anzsrc-for">120101</subject>
      <subject type="anzsrc-for">210303</subject>
      <subject type="anzsrc-for">120199</subject>
      <subject type="anzsrc-for">120102</subject>
      <coverage>
        <temporal>
          <date type="dateFrom" dateFormat="W3CDTF">1847</date>
          <date type="dateTo" dateFormat="W3CDTF">1903</date>
        </temporal>
      </coverage>
      <rights>
        <rightsStatement>The inventory was funded by a National Estate Grant by the Australian Heritage Commission to the Corporation of the Synod of the Diocese of Brisbane of the Anglican Church of Australia in the 1989-90 program.

The project was also supported in its early stages by regular university research grants, 1985-1990,awarded by the Department of Architecture, UQ.

UQ&#x2019;s Office of Gender Equity funded a fellowship in 1997 to assist with the completion of the report.</rightsStatement>
        <accessRights>The hard copy of the inventory has been deposited in the collection of The University of Queensland Library.  The catalogue entry can be found here: http://library.uq.edu.au/record=b2837418</accessRights>
      </rights>
      <relatedObject>
        <key>http://research.data.uq.edu.au/records/a343bccc-81ee-5876-abcb-af729f17d5bb</key>
        <relation type="hasCollector"/>
      </relatedObject>
    </collection>
  </registryObject>
</registryObjects>